Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Wicked Kiss by Trina M. Lee

Trina M. Lee writes delicious paranormal romances, and her new one, The Wicked Kiss, will be out on Monday! Here's a peek:

Blurb for The Wicked Kiss

When two men share the heart of the same woman, the drama escalates quickly. Alexa O’Brien’s two lovers have been at each other’s throats. The fact that one is her wolf mate and the other, a vampire bonded to her by power, only increases the tension. She fears being forced to choose between them, knowing it’s something she cannot do.

Due to the bond she shares with her vampire lover, Arys Knight, Alexa has more power than she knows how to handle. Soon, power hungry creatures are drawn to her, including Arys’ sire, Harley Kayson. Believing he is entitled to her, Harley makes it his personal mission to get a taste of Alexa for himself, whether she likes it or not. If he doesn’t kill her, she just might wish that he had.

Alexa’s wolf mate, Shaz Richardson, feels the need to prove his dominance after a nasty dispute with a fellow werewolf. The battle for Alpha Male ensues, a position left unclaimed since the death of the former pack leader. Despite fearing for him, Alexa has no choice but to support the man that has loved her unconditionally, even at her worst.

Alexa feels as if nothing remains within her control, least of all the precarious co-existence between her two men. When she learns of the one potential way to protect herself from Harley, she is faced with the biggest decision yet. This one decision will forever alter her very mortality, but can her lovers put aside their differences when it matters most?


And ... an excerpt from The Wicked Kiss


When my conscious mind became aware that somebody was in the house, I was wide-awake, on full alert.

My instinct had me swinging before I’d identified the intruder. All at once, I realized it was Arys, but he had already deflected each of my blows, catching my wrists tightly in his grasp.

“Alexa,” he whispered loudly. “It’s me. But, a word of warning. Don’t fall asleep with the front door unlocked.”

I stopped struggling against him and sat up on the futon. Arys leaned down over me; his face, more battered and bruised than it had been previously. He released my arms and stepped back as I pushed my disheveled hair from my face.

“What happened to you? That’s not from Shaz.” I reached out to brush a finger across his bruised eyelid but he caught my hand in his, kissing it softly.

“No. I saw Harley tonight. At The Wicked Kiss.” He stared at me with an intensity I felt in my toes.

Arys looked worried, almost afraid. He wasn’t the fearful type in any way. He pulled me into his arms, burying his face in my hair and inhaling my scent. I tried to pull away, pushing on his chest so he had to look at me.

“Tell me what happened.”

He studied me, his jaw clenching hard. “We had a little confrontation. It didn’t go so well.”

“You don’t say.” I cocked my head to the side, taking in his battered appearance. “Start talking, vampire.”

He reached out for my hand, and I surrendered it but didn’t abandon my stiff position. That had never deterred this vampire though, and it certainly didn’t now. Arys advanced on me, tipping my head up with a hand under my chin, kissing me with a fervor that I felt in my loins.

“That’s not going to get you out of trouble, mister. Start talking. I want to know about Harley.” I managed to pull away though I would have loved to let him continue as if nothing else mattered.

He tensed noticeably, looking away from me to stare at the gruesome horror flick that played quietly. His averted gaze told me plenty. I had to bite my tongue so that I didn’t ramble on in an attempt to pry the information out of him.

When his piercing, blue gaze swung back to me, there was an angry fire burning in their depths. He ran his hand through his always bedroom-messy hair, a sign that he didn’t want to tell me. I chewed my bottom lip nervously. If he didn’t start talking, I was going to burst.

“He’s bad news, Alexa. He wants to see what could possibly be so tasty that even I can’t get my fill.” Arys eyed me closely as he spoke. I felt his gaze like a weight. “He wants to sample you for himself. His exact words were a little more crude, which resulted in the punch in his face that started our little brawl.”

I swallowed hard around the lump that had suddenly formed in my throat. Ok, now I was a little nervous.

“You’ve got to be joking.” My hand went to my mouth, and for a moment, I thought I might throw up. “What is it with people from your past wanting a piece of me? Why? What did I ever do to them?” My voice took on a frantic, high-pitched lilt.

“Oh, Catherine was nothing worse than the jealous-high-school-girl type. Harley is like the evil cartoon villain that never dies. But worse, because he’s real.” Arys lightly touched a finger to one of the bruises lining his strong cheekbone, a thoughtful expression on his eternally beautiful face. “He seems to think you’d make a great toy. And, I know he’s egotistical enough to think he can have whatever he wants. But, he can’t have you. I’ll kill him first.”

I drew him to me, a hand tracing the line of his jaw. “We have nothing to worry about. The very thing that he wants from us is what will give us the upper hand. I’ll be ready for him.” I pressed my lips to his in a kiss that had him wanting more, if his reaction was any indication.

Arys crawled up on the futon so that he hovered over me on his hands and knees. Each of his legs was on either side of mine, and his hands came to rest on my pillow with my head caught between. The position forced me back so that I had to tip my head back to meet his eyes.

“You can’t underestimate him, Alexa.” He nipped lightly at my bottom lip. It sent a hot tingle through me, from head to toe. He had a way of always rousing the most savage energy within me. “He’s powerful and so fucking sadistic, it turns my guts to think of him touching you.”

There was a sharp pain as he bit my lower lip; the blood welled instantly. Before it could spill down my chin, he caught it against his tongue. The warm, moist touch against my wounded lip was heavenly.

“I know that, Arys. But, don’t underestimate me. I take out vamps like him all the time.” It irritated me that he spoke to me like I was defenseless.

“I’m sorry, Alexa, but you have never dealt with a vampire like him. I guarantee it.” He pressed a kiss to my bleeding lip. “And, don’t you dare make this into a damsel in distress scenario. You know it’s not like that.”

The power rose around us in response to the blood and sexual energy. It danced along my body like a strange second skin. His tongue slipped inside my mouth, and I tasted my own coppery blood. It made my heart race, and I sought to pull him closer, needing to feel him pressed against me.

“Don’t start with me,” I said, even as I gasped breathlessly. “It’s always like that with you. I’m not a breakable item that will crumble into dust at the wrong touch.”

“Yes,” he growled down at me. “You are. I’m not arguing about your safety. Nobody is safe when Harley sets his sights on them.”

Just when I loved where we were headed, he pulled back, a serious expression on his face. “I need you to promise me that you’ll stay away from The Wicked Kiss. And, watch for Harley. Seriously. Just until I know how far he’s willing to take this.”

“Arys...” I wanted him to stop talking about danger and getting killed. It was really cramping the mood we’d started.

“I mean it. Don’t make me beg.” He gave me an imploring look, and it was enough to unsettle me.

“This isn’t like you,” I commented, trying for casual. “What’s with the extreme worry? He’s not going to kill me.”

His wane smile grew sad and accepting all at once. “That’s what scares me most. Harley has a penchant for collecting things, most of them being people. Like me. If he gets his hands on you, that’s what you’ll be. Another toy. But, what’s fun for Harley is never fun for his toys.”

The creepiest chill crept over me as he uttered the words. Harley loved torture, and if he got his hands on me, I’d be praying for death instead.

“Stop,” I whispered, suddenly afraid to speak any louder. “I don’t want to go there right now. You have to leave before sunrise. Let’s not spend our time talking like this.”

A small bead of blood overflowed from my lip, down my chin. Arys’ eyes followed it, and his little finger was quick to catch it.

“Alright.” He brought the little crimson splash to his lips; his eyes glazed with the rush of energy, which he openly embraced. “For now, it’s all about us.”


This sounds fantastic, Trina! The Wicked Kiss will be available Monday, November 23 here.


I'll be chatting with Trina, Gem Sivad and Alanna Coca right here on Monday starting at 7pm Eastern time -- that's 3pm Alaska time! Stop by and hang out with us for a while, we'd love to see you!

No comments: